Food gives our bodies the energy we need to function. For many people, changing eating habits is very hard.
A food journal is a good tool to help you learn about your eating habits. Keep a food journal for 1 week.
• Write down what you eat, how much, and what times of day you are eating.
• Include notes about what else you were doing and how you were feeling, such as being hungry, stressed, tired, or bored. For example, maybe you were at work and were bored. So you got a snack from a vending machine down the hall from your desk.
• At the end of the week, review your journal and look at your eating patterns. Decide which habits you want to change.
Taking on new, healthier habits may mean that you:
• Drink skim or low-fat (1%) milk instead of 2% or whole milk.
• Eat fruit for dessert instead of cookies (or skip dessert all together).
• Schedule times to eat your meals and snacks.
• Keep healthy snacks at work. Pack healthy lunches that you make at home.
• Pay attention to your feelings of hunger. Learn the difference between physical hunger and habitual eating.
• Food is an essential part of everyone’s lives. It gives us the energy and nutrients to –
• grow and develop, be healthy and active, to move, work, play, think and learn.
• The body needs a variety of the following 5 nutrients .
• carbohydrate, fat,
• vitamins and minerals
Author: Pratibha Bohra